THE CORONASITY PT3 (CANADIANA)
THE CORONASITY PT3
(CANADIANA)73630
- Sloan – Coax MeFlash back to, going into grade 10, Matthew Murphy. Working a minimum wage job at my Dad's restaurant but still living at home, most of my money went to buying music. I had to have the new Sloan album, but for some reason Sam The Record Man was selling it at $24.99 even though it was a new release. In come my negotiation skills. I convinced the sales person that it was my cousins band (Chris Murphy, which I do have a cousin Chris) but I only had $12. Surprisingly she agreed to my terms and this album and specifically song went into my all time favourites list. Love you Chris Murphy (both of you).
- Thrush Hermit – Skip the LifeI absolutely love Canadian music and specifically, for a while, anything from MurderRecords. This is by no means my favourite Thrush Hermit song but this first track of their major label debut album, Sweet Homewrecker just fit our time and place so well right now. “Can we skip the life complete? Can we skip the life Completely?”
- The Killjoys – Rave + DroolAlmost a precursor to Canadian pop punk, or what later Treble Charger would do, this Killjoys album always made me happy, though it's definitely a depressing break-up song. Or is it an anti-drug track.
- Doughboys – ShineNot to be confused with Shine by Collective Soul, Doughboys made hippies look cool. In later years, my band Del Asher constantly got compared to them on our dreadlock count alone.
- Dinosaur Jr. - Feel the Pain*Ok, I know, not Canadian. But it just fits this list so well. Not only my favourite Dino Jr. track but the video is hilarious. Golf in mid Manhattan. Count me in.
- July Talk – Push + PullWe have had the honour of sharing the stage with these beautiful people multiple times. Tom Waits meets crooning female vocals. But let us give it up for the backbone to this band. How do you not dance to this bass and drum line. Also forget those guys who were cat-calling you on stage in Germany.
- Mother Mother – Get Out the WayWhat can I say about who I can easily call, one of my favourite bands to play with. We shared a tour and the stage so many times I can't count. Positive energy doesn't even describe the side stage vibes. And those crew parties. Damn. Also a lesson on vocal harmonies for those interested.
- StereoKid – Mission for LoveSo, obviously this list is going to be comprised of a lot of bands I have played with but I can honestly say these gentlemen will always be considered brothers. I cannot express my love more for this group of people. Always great on stage and always stellar off. Also Hooters for life. Hahaha. At least the Barrie, Ontario location.
- The Glorious Sons – A Funny Thing HappenedWhat can I say about Kingston, Ontario? Without it I wouldn't exist. Every time a great band comes from my Dad's hometown I get excited. Not to mention Brad Murphy knows them personally.
- The Hold Steady – Stay Positive*Leave it to Mackenzie Cameron to make me really sit and listen and appreciate a band. I was obsessed with this song as soon as I heard it. The most unconcerned about Punk-Rock, Punk band. Fast forward to years later. I meet them in Edmonton at the same hotel we were staying at and man oh man did the lead singer want nothing to do with me. Still love the band though and Stay Positive should be our anthem.
- Teenage Kicks – Middle of the NightThere is something to be said about brothers in a band. The music is just, almost always, better. Siblings have that connect. The sad thing about Canadian music, is when a gem like Teenage Kicks comes around; doing what many bigger bands are doing now, they just don't quite get the recognition. Loved playing with this band and will always enjoy listening.
- The Weakerthans – DiagnosisI had the odd privilege of playing with these next two bands at the same show in Winnipeg. It was odd because I was obsessed with Propagandhi at the time but didn't know anything about John's new band, The Weakerthans. Suffice it to say I was over the moon.
- Propagandhi – And We Thought Nation States Were a Bad IdeaSo far I haven't really delved into each songs possible meanings or connotations. I leave that to you the listener. Just know when Propagandhi writes a track, I suggest you listen.
- Pup – DVPI love when younger bands come around and maybe in my old age or just because I had seen all the previous iterations of a band, I tend to ignore things. Man oh man, I can admit I slept on Pup for a long time. But in the last 2 years have come to love them. Anyone part of the YC Fam is great in my book.
- Hollerado – So It GoesWhat a beautiful song and concept. Not only are these some of my favourite people but a band that deserves a name in Canadian musical history. Also that party at that sketchy dive hotel in Alberta was great. Too bad we took over Said the Whale's rooms.
- Yukon Blonde – Saturday NightThis is the definitive dance song on this list. If you have made it this far, take a little break and stretch those legs. That is what I am going to do, while writing this. I just love this song.
- Said the Whale – UnAmericanSorry for taking over your hotel room with Hollerado that time. You were gracious hosts. I also think for some reason it may have been Jacelyn's birthday but maybe that is what I told myself to justify the party. Also sorry our guitar tech fell asleep with a forty of Jack in one of your beds.
- Age of Electric – Remote ControlWhat can I say about this band and song. I snuck into a Loyalist College show at the Shark Pub, or Sharktank Pub, on campus to see this show and it was incredible. It was St. Patrick's day in Belleville and I was partaking in some illegal, underage, green beer as one does. (Also shout out to the fake IDs from above the HMV Superstore back in the day, without that sketchy place I would have never met this band.) Best part is the next day I got on a train to St. Catharines to see my sister and I puked the bright green the whole way.
- Limblifter – TinfoilI know this band had it's moment and that a lot of people know this song but for me there is still something where I feel like I discovered these guys. Like people would ask, “Hey, you hear the new Rusty album?” I would respond, smugly, “No man, I have been listening to Limblifter.” We got to play a show with Ryan at Rifflandia in Victoria and he said he really loved our band. That meant so much.
- Matthew Good – One of Them YearsAgain take what you want from this one. I mean it's pretty obvious why I put it on the list. I don't want to be a bummer. That is why I picked the next song. But this track means something.
- USS – MedicineHazza. Time for my band. This is my every morning during quarantine. I know its not about our situation, per se, but you can see the connection. Also, last tour, my favourite song to play live.(73, 6:30)
- I Mother Earth – Another SundayOk. Edwin and the boys made this because again the idea of repetition. “I'm out of my head...there ain't no control over things you take for granted.”
- Big Wreck – That SongOne of my and Ash's favs, I have an extra reason to include Ian and Big Wreck on this list. In the last year and a bit one of my oldest friends joined this band and I couldn't be happier. Funny to think that songs we listened to in high-school may be bands we get to play with or share the stage with in adulthood. “I really love that tune. Man I love that song.”
- Death From Above 1979 – Romantic RightsI had the privilege of living my formative, musical years in St. Catharines. As well I worked in the scene for ages and got to put on shows for bands like DFA. This band taught me a ton about DIY and how much fun two people on stage could actually have.
- The Faint – Agenda SuicideDo not read into the song title. This made the list because I love the song and even with its dystopian overtones, it is still a dance-able banger.
- The Unicorns – I Was Born A UnicornAgain made this list because I always had a such a killer time promoting this band and watching them play. L3 shows with The Unicorns and the next band were literally magical and mythic.
- The Junction – FrequenciesJust good vibes. Plain and simple.
- Moneen – With This Song I Will Destroy MyselfI believe this is the second Moneen song to make a CORONASITY playlists. Just listen to these positive lyrics and know we will be just fine. It jumps from disaster to positive sentiment and back again in the most beautiful way.
- The Flatliners – Resuscitation of the YearCan't have a playlist without a bit of punk. Plus I feel like I am constantly pushing Sights and Sounds and overlooking great bands, like The Flatliners. Obviously the title says it all.
- Gob – The Perfect RemedyWhen The World According to Gob first came out I feel like it didn't get a lot of love from their original fan-base. The songs were more melodic and arguably more seeded in pop. Gob had a plan and a blueprint on how to get there. Front to back this album rips. Some of the most interesting melodies in punk came from this album. This final, The Perfect Remedy, always stood out to me. “Pent up in me, tied up in my room. I have the perfect remedy, spit it out or just chew it.”
Comments
Post a Comment